Saturday 26 May 2007

GRUB Error 17

Ever since I've added a new partition between my windows and linux partitions I get GRUB Error 17 after installing/updating some essential linux core elements. It is happening because GRUB config file gets overridden with a default one. I don't know how to solve this problem but I do know how to recover in an easy way. I've copied the /boot/grub/menu.lst file (grub configuration) to my home directory. Every time I get Error 17 after choosing Linux in my GRUB menu I:
  1. Reboot the system
  2. When GRUB menu appears I select linux option and press 'e' for editing
  3. I set correct parameters
  4. Press 'b' for booting
  5. When system loads I override /boot/grub/menu.lst with the stored one from my home folder
And that's it. I realize it is not a solution, but it works for me :)

No comments: